Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Games #30, #31, 32, #34

In my last blog post, I mentioned how a good, yet ultimately losing game against an 1800 player motivated me to play up in the U1800 section of a tournament.  That game ended up being a long in a series of me getting into winning or dead drawn positions against much higher players and losing anyway.

This tournament time control was G90 d5.




I don't have the full game because of time trouble, but here's the lovely final position.


Of course, all I have to do is play the simple ...Be5 and White will never be able to make any headway. I blundered with ...Kg6.



That was just... bad.




Well at least I didn't lose that game, although I had winning chances if I hadn't blundered with that king move.


Here is the final position. Look familiar? Almost the same as game #30. Eager to not make the same mistake I did last time, I rushed to put my bishop in a position where it could get to b5 and secure the draw. Now this time, I only had seconds on my clock so I was truly living off of the increment. But I managed to find one of the very few moves that absolutely loses with ...Bc4.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, excellent play in most games, followed by lots of blunders. Might be the sign that you've maybe exhausted yourself a little on chess in these games.

    Maybe your game load was a bit too high ? Still the excellent positions you got in those games are very encouraging.

    An interesting exercise you could try is to go back to one of those winning positions (minimum +3, maybe +5 to start with), and try to win it against an engine at quick time-control (maybe 30' for you and 5' for the engine). This should help you develop 'pragmatic play' (like avoiding the self-pin in the last featured game).

    ReplyDelete